Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Stockholm Moves Forward


Yesterday marks the end of a six month trial period for a sophisticated (3.8 billion kronor, about 250 million CAD) traffic taxing system. Following in the footsteps of London, and other major cities, Stockholm setup a taxing system for cars entering the city center. Although it brought in less revenue than expected, it is still being considered a success, as city centre traffic has decreased by between 20-25% and transit has seen an increased ridership of about 74,000, comparing this June to last. At the same time, they've actually reduced the fares here in Stockholm (whhhaaaaaaaaaa....?) to encourage the use of transit. Toronto. You listening? For a metropolis of over 5 million people, Toronto's transit system is garbage. Expensive garbage at that. The Stockholm system will be voted on by the public in September, when the nation goes to the polls to decide on their local and national representatives. The vote is expected to favour the taxing. Sadly, I think the majority of Torontonians would likely vote against such a proposal. The last thing drivers want is a tax, and the last thing transit riders want is more transit riders. And believe me, there's already too many of both.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be hating on Toronto, foo. Keep in mind, you abandoned your city - and for what!? (For my peace and quiet, actually, that's what).

But yes, the Toronto version of public transit is garbage. This is exactly what I thought of when I paid a quarter shy of a bill for my monthly pass yesterday... and then waited at Jane station for my bus... for 30 minutes... at 11 pm...

I was reading a National Post article today that blamed Howard Moscoe for the TTC's decline. I blame Mike Harris. Tell you what, let's just sit down and argue about this until we forget again that we need another subway line (or eight).

Man, I hate you.*

( * - "you" in this case refers to Liam/National Post/Jane bus drivers )

9:27 PM, August 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps - Watson sabotaging your leeching of his mini buttons, priceless.

9:30 PM, August 02, 2006  
Blogger bombtea said...

Ahaha, thanks Dipp, I was quite proud of that myself. Liam, if you had just asked, bro... or at least made an effort to change the links to your own shit hahaha...

Anyway, yeah, don't blame Moscoe. He at least wants the TTC to work, unlike the aforementioned Harris who just wanted to blow his noise with their budget. I'm saying we try to get the private-sector to build new subway lines. Who cares if it'll be branded like nothing's been branded before, at least it'll be there.

I feel you Dipp, though: Monday I grabbed my Multipass from the booth-guy at Royal York - I give him $100 and he gives me a piece of plastic and a sneer. Great. I bet in Sweden transit passes are handed out by buxom, blonde Viking women who give BJs along with your change.

10:11 PM, August 02, 2006  
Blogger Liam said...

Seriously, Toronto needs to overhaul their entire transportation situation. Tax drivers in the downtown core, designate certain streets to be exclusively for streetcars. The St. Clair proposal is a good start, but it's just a start. St Clair isn't even close to downtown, let alone the heart of it. Take some streets, block them off to cars, repave them with bricks, put some trees and benches in the middle, and WHABAM! A walking street. Imagine people just walking along Queen st. No cars, just people. City space should be enjoyed, not exhausted.
Take all that revenue from taxing cars and put it into transit. Extend the transit, and lower prices. Obviously, without the proper funding from above, this can't happen, but this is what I hope to see.

4:25 PM, August 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home